Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

The Daisy Perspective

The poet Gil Scott-Heron said,
"The first revolution is when you change your mind about how you look at things. The revolution-that change that takes place- will not be televised".
  I'd like to take that quote a bit deeper.  I believe that "The first sparks of evolution occur when you change your feelings. That transformation will not be televised".  We are taught that in order to effect true change, people first have to change their cognition; their mind as Scott-Heron refers to. That change in mindset is said to provoke changes in emotions, which then lead to changes in behavior or action.  I don't believe that anymore. I believe the very first step comes with a change in feelings. Once your feelings have changed, you can probably even skip the whole "mind step" and go right to a change in behavior- both yours and in those around you.  That feels like evolution and transformation to me.  Bring it on!

I was feeling deep changes in myself the other day. I was feeling good and looking at nature all around.  It was pretty hard not to notice the rain, the rain, and the rain.  All the rain had really trashed the peonies and their petals were all over the ground as were wild rose petals. It seemed like they were destroyed before they really had a chance to thrive.  I was lamenting their destruction when  I realized I was totally surrounded by daisies.  They are everywhere this year.  I really have idea how they got there, I don't remember them being around last year. Unlike the peonies I didn't intentionally plant them. At least not where they are growing- which is everywhere! Hmm...

Sabina Pettitt writes about the Daisy in "Energy Medicine Healing from the Kingdoms of Nature". Pettitt writes that the Ox-Eye Daisy is a remedy for vision that helps us tune into a larger perspective.  Pettitt writes that when we are able to access the big picture we can put things together in a new way.  Sounds like transformation to me.

The Daisy has a golden centre. The daisies all around me often have little insects resting in this centre.  Pettitt writes that this yellow centre symbolizes a safe place to view all of life. The white petals that extend out from that inner being provide a connection to all of life and beyond.

Pettitt suggest you use the Daisy remedy when you are over-focused; when you aren't able to see the forest for the trees.  www.PacificEssences.com

I'm certainly familiar with the concept of focus!  But usually I'm looking to find focus, and would consider myself under focused, or to be grammatically correct, unfocused; not over-focused as the Daisy suggests. I've written lots about the Bach Flower essence Hornbeam, http://pixiedusthealing.blogspot.ca/2012/04/indecision-uncertainty.html as a remedy to help provide focus and enhance concentration. But wait a minute- this is about transformation, changing patterns and feelings and finding balance. So it only stands to reason that if one can suffer from inattention and lack of focus, it's just as easy to stray to the opposite side and become over focused and intense. Hmm...

I guess it's easy to get really focused in on what is not right in our world. We are creatures that like to "do" and "fix" so perhaps we are drawn to closely observe what we think we can/should/would, change. There can be a tunnel vision in that type of behavior that prevents truly seeing the visionary aspects of change- the power of transformation.  We can be so focused on creating change that we miss the whole transformation piece. Perhaps we need to stop thinking so hard and feel the vision.

I was so intent on the peonies that I had intentionally planted, and the wild rose that I believed I was nurturing, that I missed the incredible spontaneous beauty of daisies all around me. I was so focused on creating nature that I missed feeling the natural landscape. It really wasn't quite in my vision.

I realized that I can feel my own yellow center of safety, power, and certainty. When I really tune in to that and feel that, I can enable my vision to expand outside of my usual narrow focus.  I can see the forest of daisies that surround my peonies.  Feels like a place of expansion in an evolving world.

Let the transformation unfold.








No comments:

Post a Comment