Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Book Review: Hair Gone Wild

Maybe it's all that money flying around above my head that's made me feel a little lighter today, but whatever the reason I thought I'd post something a little less serious in nature.

Here's the thing. This morning I didn't shampoo my hair. I rinsed it out with Chamomile tea I had brewed the night before.  The day before that, I washed my hair with a little bit of baking soda followed by a couple of tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. The day before that it was a conditioning only with honey from a squeeze jar.  Yup- I'm a salad head!  In fact, I've been a "salad head" (my own affectionate term for the phenomena) since I read Diane Kidman's e-book pictured on the left: "Hair Gone Wild!" about 2 weeks ago.

I don't have an e-reader. So when I saw on some social media device or another the offer to purchase this e-book for free, I asked if there was a print version I could check out. There isn't, but Diane sent me a link to download an app to my computer so I could download, save, and read e-books.  Wow! Welcome to the 21st Century. 

So I held my breath, downloaded the app, and her book.  It was painless actually.  At most, the book might cost you less than 5 dollars.  That seems like money well transferred and transformed (to maintain the spirit of yesterday's post)  http://pixiedusthealing.blogspot.ca/2012/05/money-energy.html.

In this e-book, Kidman explains how, by using all natural ingredients, you can throw out your shampoo, conditioners and "hair devices" and get reconnected to your hair's natural personality.

 I  don't really have that much of a relationship with my hair. It "just is". I do remember periods of my life when I cried over a bad haircut, but those emotional reactions are long gone. I have tried without success to master the ability to use a hair dryer, big roller brushes, skinny little brushes, a straightener and a curling iron. I've tried lots of different products designed to do multiple things from straighten to curl and all twisted varieties in between. My hair has been any number of colors, including a period of down right orange after a friend tried out a henna on me. It was red for another brief period of time but I kept freaking myself and others out, so I didn't repeat that one, or the orange shade again.  All this to say, I'm happy enough to do some experimentation on the hair front without fear.

I didn't really have anything against my shampoo and conditioner. I don't really subscribe to the theory that there are chemicals in there that could cause all kinds of evil things, but maybe that's true. I do like the idea of being "self- sufficient" and I appreciate "multi-purpose objects", so the thought of being able to use household food products instead of shampoos and conditions was appealing to me.

In her book, Diane Kidman explains step by step how to approach this natural salad approach to your hair. She gives very practical advice and walks you through finding the right combination for your hair and head. She explains the basics of hair washing as well as conditioners and rinses for multiple hair types and colors. All you need to get started is apple cider vinegar, baking soda, and that squeeze bottle of honey. She gives you solutions for the "issues" you might run into as you try this out.

Kidman warns that you might go through a rather frustrating period for the first few days. She was right on that.  I took her advice though, and about 4 days into the transformation,  when I thought the whole thing might be nuts, I still resisted the urge to go back to shampoo and conditioner and tried a little less soda, and a little more vinegar and a whole lot less washing.  Turns out, I don't have to wash my hair every day- not even close. Kidman explains the theory behind that as well. In fact, there is some interesting historical information in her book that may make you rethink the products you're using and the marketing strategy behind them. There are recipes in there for special herbal rinses for a variety of results and even some natural dying or lightening tips. All the ingredients are natural and you can find most of them in the grocery store. For some of the rinses and dye recipes you might have to go to the herbal section of the health food store.

There are multiple ways to find Kidman's book depending on what application you want it on.  The easiest way might be to go to Diane's blog http://www.dianekidman.com/2011/07/uncommon-thread-tried-tested-and-true.html and go from there.  This is not her first or only book and you'll find a ton of interesting information on her mutlipe blogs. This might just be the start of a whole new you!

You'll have time to spend a few minutes on Diane's blogs and checking out her books when you settle into the salad hair days- less time spent shampooing, conditioning, arguing with and sighing over your hair.  You'll also have the money to spend because you'll save it in not buying all kinds of products.

So far at least, I don't think I'll go back to commercial products.  It turns out my hair and I seem to have a better relationship since I've rediscovered it.  It seems to "just be" with a little more ease.  It's lighter and happier I think. I can't see any downside to the salad fix. It's really nice when something that's naturally good for your body works better than the expensive, chemical products. Bonus!
Enjoy the discovery!

No comments:

Post a Comment