Search This Blog

Monday, November 1, 2010

"The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society": Book Energy Transfer?


A few days ago a friend lent me a copy of "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. I started to look at it the first night I got it- intending to just glance at it and stayed up reading till 1:30am at which time I forced myself to quit for the night! I NEVER stay up doing anything let alone reading! The next night I pretty much did the same and I had finished it within a few days despite being a really hectic work period for me.

The thing is- I don't really know why I was so attracted to this book! It's a novel about life on an one of the Channel Islands during and shortly after the Second World War and is written as a series of letters back and forth between the main character, a writer, and various Islanders. There are lots of pieces of characters that I appreciate and can relate with, it's an interesting education on the German occupation and life during the war without much angst, but it really isn't my "type" of book- and yet I couldn't put it down.

Funny thing is that the book starts out by saying
"I wonder how the book got to Guernsey? Perhaps there is some sort of secret homing instinct in books that brings them to their perfect readers"
And that's the thing about this book- everyone keeps passing it on. My friend got if from a friend and passed it on to me without really knowing why.

On the weekend, I was doing an author signing ( if you don't have a copy of Melvin's Balloons- got to www.brylerpublications.com ) there- that's my marketing plug- and I talked to a fascinating 70year old writer from England. Somehow among other things we talked about "The Guernsey book"- no one can remember the full title! She had read it too- same thing, got it from a friend and when she was finished she passed it on to her son to read. We both said the same thing- didn't know why we really liked it but couldn't put it down. This writer and I had this amazing energy "click" thing. In what was a very touching moment for us both I think, she came back to my booth later in the day and gave me a copy of one of her books! I was so honored. For the second time in a month I found myself reading a book late into the night. Although I want it ("Cucumber Sandwiches and Fishnet Tights") back- I intend to lend it out as well!! It just made me feel good and took me to a place I was happy to visit. I could feel her energy in the book and it made me feel good.

So maybe there is some type of energy that travels with books, and is more than the words on the page. I feel this sometimes with "Melvin's Balloons" when I read it to kids. It feels like it has little to do with the words and a lot to do with something that occurs at an energetic level we can't see, feel, or hear.

I apologize to Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows, because as an author I realize you don't make much money if everyone is sharing one copy of your book! But I thank them for the feelings and emotions and positive energy I feel I received and I imagine it is coming back to them in a huge way. The same to my new friend Margaret Walker and my friend that lent me "The Guernsey" book.

Maybe we are all opening up in this way- to give and receive positive loving energy in a new variety of ways. I like this book homing instinct. So if anyone wants to borrow the book next... let me know!

2 comments:

  1. Anyone who doubts the increased interconnectedness of our experiences these days simply is not paying attention and losing out on this wonderful sense of synchronicity.
    On the book front, the following is an email I received last week from a very dear person:
    "I just read a great book. The 1st chapter was disappointing; the person who gave me the book sought it out and I started with such great expectation I couldn't be but disappointed..... but the rest of the book is magic. Truly great and I know (I'm doing the same thing as the giver, yet now understand the enthusiasm) it is a book for you.
    Excited, I actually found a tyveck envelope and the tape and stamps in the places they should be. Excited and impressed with this miracle, I packed it up, taped it to death before realizing I didn't write a note. I really did a wrap job, well I over wrapped and reluctant to start over.
    It's on its way. Please print this email and glue it inside the cover before you move it on to someone you know and love, as you surely
    will, or at least accept my excuse for not doing a note.... it bothered me, but I weighed my agony against the taped package and saw
    this as a solution...."
    Indeed, the power of books (or the writer behind it)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to hear what the book is when it comes!!

    ReplyDelete